Coaching for Performance
Rated "best of its kind" by MANAGEMENT TODAY magazine (Feb 2003)
"An in-depth guide to coaching ... The most comprehensive ... Suitable for beginners and professionals alike."
"A must read for any coach aspiring to do advanced work with their clients. This long-awaited new edition of John's classic work resonates with what I have been discovering within my own coaching practice and experience. Bringing together the simplicity of the coaching process and the larger scope of the coaching profession in a readable and provocative way, Coaching for Performance forecasts the necessary evolution that awaits the world of business and the world of coaching."
- Laura Whitworth, co-founder of The Coaches Training Institute and author of Co-Active Coaching.
Clear, concise, hands-on and friendly, Coaching for Performance is a coaching guide written in a coaching style.
Now in a new, expanded and fully revised third edition, this bestselling handbook will help you learn the skills - and the art - of good coaching, and realize its enormous value in unlocking people's potential to maximize their own performance.
As John Whitmore writes, "Coaching is not merely a technique to be wheeled out and rigidly applied in certain prescribed circumstances. It is a way of managing, a way of treating people, a way of thinking, a way of being." This third edition of the definitive guide moves on to a new psychological ground with three new chapters on coaching for personal meaning, purpose at work and on corporate values and culture - to GROW People, Performance and Purpose together.
Adopted by many of the world's major corporations, this easy to use title argues persuasively for:
- using effective questions rather than instructions or commands to raise awareness and responsibility, with extensive examples
- following the GROW sequence - Goals, Reality, Options, Will - to generate prompt action and peak performance
- the growing need to relate to the individual's sense of meaning and purpose
and examines why:
- coaches now need enhanced skill levels
- coaching is the essential team leadership skill